Friday, June 15, 2012

Paul's Baptism, Wheelchairs....etc.

About two months ago the Stake President brought Paul Ngie down to our office.  He wanted Ron to talk to him, answer any of his questions about the church and just visit with him for as long as Paul needed to visit.  They visited for about two hours. We became good friends.  This is a picture of Paul when he came back to our office just two weeks ago to tell Ron he was getting baptized and would we please come!   We said........Yes!
He is going to be an awesome leader for these people.  
Dad and I and Paul Ngie, our good friend.
Paul's granddaughter Rose.
A great day for baptisms at Langata Branch in Africa!!
Paul and his family.  Paul was a Baptist minister who started  looking into the church because he just didn't feel like he himself was telling his congregations the truth.  He said people told him bad things about the LDS church when he started looking into it, so he decided he better look into it a little further to make sure they were right, and the more he studied the more he realized he had found the truth the way Christ taught it.  He said it felt like he was "coming home".

Paul Ngie
Velma and her mom.

This is Paul Ngie and his family, the missionaries who taught them, Velma in the middle,  a "regular" eight yr. old baptism, and Velma's uncle who baptized her.  
This is the little girl I told you about.  She was in the children's hospital and she was so sick.  If you look closely at the right side of her mouth you can see a tiny smile.  She was trying so hard to smile, and tears were running down her cheek.   She loved when I showed her the picture.  May Heavenly Father bless all of the little children. I don't even know her name...but someone does.
We went to Kijabe to the closing ceremonies for the Wheelchair initiative that the Tuttles were involved in.  It was really interesting.  They do a lot of work.
This is a patient being fitted for a new wheelchair.  The church trains these technicians, and also gives the wheelchairs.
This is Elder Dow explaining how they fit the wheelchairs to each individual person.

Thought I would show you the drawing I worked on in my spare time at night.  It was my gift to the Tuttles for all of the help they have given us since we arrived in Africa.  I don't know what we would have done without them.   We are going to miss them like crazy!  Elder Tuttle went bow hunting in Tanzania and they stayed with this tribe.  They had just finished eating the baboon they had killed.  I drew this from a photo they took, and I promise that is a baboon bone they are holding!

5 comments:

  1. Portraits? What the....I thought you were a flowers only kind of gal!! This is fabulous....keep drawing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear grandma, that drawing you drew was really good. How do you draw that?

    love,
    william
    0
    0
    {><}
    ....... (:0/)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda this is fabulous....Looks like you are putting those evenings on "lock down" to good use!! I totally believe you about the baboon bone...the bushman that we met who had killed the most recent baboon in his tribe (a real delicacy) wore a baboon "hat", which got passed around to the latest hunter to kill one. Beautiful drawing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, that was from me:)(Kristen) Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but am loving your blog....btw, the comment about feeling like "coming home", is exactly the phrase my WHitney used when she converted. Miss you guys..you look SO HAPPY in your pictures! Have fun, love you. Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another Pugmire original! It's beautiful, Linda. I see you haven't lost your touch. You would make LaVon proud.

    ReplyDelete